This year, we’re celebrating the anniversary of our riveted pants — better known today as the blue jean — and the Levi’s® brand wants you to celebrate with us!
Building off the success of its 5:01 Live series, the Levi’s® brand is throwing a global virtual festival this May 20 — the official date our patent was approved — to celebrate the birthday of the Levi’s® 501® jean, which has provided effortlessly cool style to working men and women, rock stars and everyone in between for decades.
For its first-ever Global 501® Day Live event, the brand has teamed up with a variety of artists to bring music and entertainment to @Levis Instagram Live. The day is a celebration of originality and authenticity, one that embodies the true ethos of the iconic 501. From musicians, to artists, to designers, it’s a day to celebrate with some of our favorite partners around the world.
“Through Levi’s® 5:01 LIVE, we learned just how many of our fans want to tune into seeing their favorite performers at-home in an intimate setting and we wanted to bring to life an even greater experience with a full line-up to celebrate the storied 501®,” said Jen Sey, chief marketing officer, Levi Strauss & Co. Global brands. “We have a unique opportunity to, for the first time ever, give everyone access to some of the best that Levi’s® has to offer, including performances from our favorite musical artists and access to the Levi’s® archives — both of which are normally only available to those who attend our events or come to San Francisco.”
Beginning at 7 a.m. PDT, the 501 Day festival will be broadcast around the world from the official @Levis Instagram account featuring musical performances, meaningful conversations and DIY denim personalization and repair sessions with in-house tailors. Attendees will also get a chance to hear from our Historian, Tracey Panek, and Levi’s® Vintage Clothing’s Head Designer Paul O’Neill, who will chronicle the history of the iconic 501® blue jean alongside new and exclusive 501® collaborations and styles.
Levi’s® 501® Day will feature —
- 5:01 Live Performances by Swae Lee, Ari Lennox, HAIM, Mahalia, Raja Kumari, G Flip, and Se So Neon.
- DIY how-tos with our friends Lily Aldridge, Leo Mahalo & ZHC, and Van Ness Wu.
- Highsnobiety’s Jian DeLeon in conversation with Tremaine Emory and Samuel Trotman discussing the cultural impact of the 501® blue jean in streetwear, music, and beyond.
- In conversation with Bob Weir and friends — covering the history of Music, San Francisco, and Levi’s® during the ’60s and ’70s.
- Exclusive launch of Levi’s® x GOLF in collaboration with GOLF WANG.
- Limited edition release of Levi’s® Vintage Clothing 1971 “Golden Ticket” 501® Jean.
- Tracey Panek, and Levi’s® Vintage Clothing’s Head Designer Paul O’Neill, who will chronicle the history of the iconic 501® blue jean alongside new and exclusive 501® collaborations and styles.
You can follow along on the brand’s Instagram “main stage” — events will be held throughout the day via Insta Stories, Insta Live, the brand’s feed and many moments will be available through IGTV. “Secondary stages” will be held through the brand’s region-specific Instagram handles throughout Europe and Asia as well.
Dubbed “the fashion item of the 20th century” by Time magazine, the 501® jean has evolved through the decades to fit the style needs of the moment, but has managed to remain emblematic of self-expression throughout. Be sure to join Levi’s® in celebrating a true icon.